What causes trouble releasing hand grip affter a brain surgery?

After recent brain surgery my wife has trouble releasing the grip in her left hand and now the problem is begining in the right hand. You have to pry her fingers off wheelchair etc yet she can open and release her hands all day long as long as she doesn't have anything to grip
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Followup Detailed Answer: hello and thank you for sending the question. This might be related to some inflammation after the surgery. The brain is a very delicate organ as I am sure you understand. It might take some time for the symptoms to slowly improve. I understand that you are concerned that the symptoms seem to be stable or possibly progressing. I think it is important that you discuss this with the neurosurgeon. Sometimes there can be permanent deficits after a brain surgery but hopefully this will be something that is temporary. I would encourage physical therapy. This can also help to diminish musculoskeletal issues after a major surgery. One other possibility is that there might be some electrolyte disturbance or abnormalities. A general laboratory screening evaluation might be beneficial. Again this is something you would want to discuss with your doctors. Thank you again for sending the question. Dr. G