What causes to have throbbing pain in knees when standing?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
my knees have throbbing pain when standing. It does not hurt when I run or workout, or climb stairs, but if I stand in one place, they throb with pain. I can't figure it out. Just to add...I workout fairly regularly and I am able to lift heavy weights with my legs and back, but when I am standing in one place for a long time, my knees start to throb. They don't hurt when I run, walk, or climb stairs. Sometimes they also throb when I'm lying down and not moving. I was wondering if it is possibly a circulation issue or something as well. I've had this issue for years; it seems to be a little worse now.
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: I will advise you to do MRI knee,Vit B12 and Vit D Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Your symptoms are quite unusual, but I would like to rule out injuries to ligament or menisci of knee first if you were to be my patient. I will advise you to do MRI knee, check your Vit B12 and Vit D3 level. You may apply ice or a cold pack to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes when in pain. You can also try anti-inflammatory pain killer like ibuprofen during pain. If you notice swelling and bruise along with pain I will advise you to further investigate. Do you smoke? If yes, you will also require lower leg colour Doppler. Consult your local doctor who can write a prescription. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: What causes to have throbbing pain in knees when standing? 41 minutes later
Thank you for your reply, Doctor. I usually have no bruising and no swelling. I have recently tried taking vitamins as well and they seem to help. I did have some pea anserine bursitis and still have some issues with that as well. I do not smoke. I wanted to wait to get an MRI or other tests to see if other things would work. I'm wondering if it is a muscle imbalance since it only seems to throb when standing in one place and not moving. Are there any other tests or things to check other than having an MRI?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: USG knee and leg can be done Detailed Answer: Hello again, It's good that there is no swelling and you do not smoke. Ultrasound knee and leg would help us rule out intra-articular collection or obvious ligament tear. But MRI will give clear view about ligament and meniscus status. By Vit B12 and Vit D3 level we can see for any deficiency leading to pain. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.