What causes tingling and numbing sensations in right arm/shoulder?

May 2014

Hello, I am having tingling & numbing sensations in my right arm/shoulder and the tingling sensation is also in my left shoulder & down arm as well as my legs. Feels like the limbs are falling asleep. The pain in my right finger tips has just started. My right face is also having tingling sensation. On my tounge it feels like it is being stuck by pins. Feels like a panic attack
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing in. I have read through your query in detail. If you have experienced similar symptoms in the past and its related to heightened anxiety levels and increased heart rate, then it is most likely a panic attack. If you have already consulted a psychiatrist, you may need to discuss your medications and dosage. If this is the first time you are feeling this way then ruling out a mild stroke is essential by going to the ER. This requires a complete neurological clinical examination and may also need a brain scan. The other possibility can be exposure to cold temperatures. However this affects both sides of the body and you have reported symptoms only on the right side. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow-up: What causes tingling and numbing sensations in right arm/shoulder? 32 minutes later
Greetings; I am experiencing pain in my right shoulder and right hand fingers & a dull achy burn in my knuckles. I am also feeling a slight strain on my right chest area. The pain in shoulder is now a dull ache and generates to my jaw. Also my throat on the right side is achy. I now have a headache.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most likely panic attack but needs observation Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing back with an update. The important feature of a panic attack is its self limiting symptoms and a duration of upto 30 minutes. If your symptoms are present continuously for more than an hour then something more than a panic attack should be considered and investigated for. Well, your symptoms do correlate with a panic attack but if it is persisting for more than an hour and worsening further then I suggest you to take immediate medical attention. Wishing you good health. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek