What causes tightness under the breast and ribcage?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
I have the sensation of a tightness or band like feeling under my breasts and it goes all the way around my ribcage. it doesnt hurt but it does tend to make me short of breath if i try to be active. it isn;t all the time it just happens sporadically. It starts at about the upper middle of my back and goes all the way around. it almost feels like my diapraghm is spasming. It also happens more frequently after i eat. I have asthma, copd. pacs and pvcs and some tachycardia. I use verapamil. inderal. ipartropium bromide neb and advair inhaler. I also tend to be overweight and use xanax for anxiety. I also have acid reflux for which i take omeprazole. The weird thing is when i use the ipartropium neb it eases off
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Looks to be related to bronchospasm. Detailed Answer: Hi. I have gone through your history and the medication you are on. Your description is self exploratory. If Ipratropium bromide is helping to ease your symptom of tightness, it may be a referred sensation form the spasm of muscles of the airway. Ipratropium helps to relax the muscles of the airways. Just to add to your knowledge- if a proper broncho-dilatation is maintained by you by appropriate use of Advair and Ipratropium, the requirement of other medicines may be reduced drastically as is for the relief of the sensation of tightness.
Follow-up: What causes tightness under the breast and ribcage? 56 minutes later
Why would this feel like my diapraghm was spasming. It definitly feels like a belt wrapped around the rib cage underneath my breasts and I also notice it more after eating and sometimes it feels like its so tight its hard to eat.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: muscle spasm Detailed Answer: Hi. Diaphragm is again a skeletal muscle which has a major role to play in respiration as are the muscles of the ribs. So the feeling of spasming. After the food the stomach gets full and pushes the diaphragm up limiting its movement which already in spasm or exhausted. In reflex one does feel hard to eat.