What causes tender and black pinky toe?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My pinkie toe on my left foot is very tender,it's red and the nail looks black , I did not bang it into any objects, and it is painful to walk what's going on?
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seems to be inflammatory in nature. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. According to your description , pain over your pinky toe seems to be inflammatory in nature. I advice you to give rest to the part affected, do icing over affected area take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination of foot and rule out any infective cause. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care