What causes swelling under ribs?

Apr 2014

My daughter was told she has an upper respiratory infection and ear infection yesterday. They have put her on antibiotics. She says her left side under her ribs is a little swolen. Should I be concerned. She also has Chrons disease but is in remission right now. She's away at school and I am just worried.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: She don't need any active management for swelling. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us I don't think she need any active management for swelling under ribs. She can be kept under close observation.If swelling increases in size or associated with pain then she need proper clinical examination and investigations. She is rightly taking antibiotics for upper respiratory tract infection and earache.Mostly it is due to viral causes and it is self limiting but antibiotics are generally needed due to super added infection. It is good that she is in remission from Crohn's disease. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX