Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes swelling in teeth after temporary filling and is root canal or tooth extraction advisable?

Question
Hello doctor, My son, aged 5 yrs was recommended by dental doctor to go for a Root canal treatment 1 month back, The periodontist advised us two options either to go a tooth extraction or root canal treatment . When we decided to go for a Root canal treatment he simply refused to do the same because of his stubbornness. As a result we had to go for a temporary filing on that area. Till last week there was no problem , but recently there has appeared a slight swelling type near to that teeth ( Just like a fodi in hindi) . Pls advise what is the reason for this and should we again approach for root canal treatment or tooth extraction. I am worried so much . He doesnt allow to open his mouth.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Periapical infection Detailed Answer: Hello, The tooth with temporary filling has re-infected. The entire infected pulp within tooth has to be extirpated out through root canal procedure. I would advice you to get the root canal treatment done for your child . If your child is not willing for the procedure,get the tooth extracted. Complete course of amoxycillin with clavulinic acid as well as analgesics has to be administered. I wish your child good health. The swelling will subside once the infection has revealed. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes swelling in teeth after temporary filling and is root canal or tooth extraction advisable? 2 hours later
Hello Dr. bindya, thanks for ur prompt reply. so as per ur suggestion we will suggest to the doctor to go for tooth extraction, but last time he had told that since this is the 3rd teeth of lower jaw ( inner side ) this is not the actual age for tooth to go , there are chances that by the age of 11 his new teeth may face some spacing problems . Is it right ? Shall we still proceed with the tooth extraction .

Brief Answer: Root canal treatment. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your response. If your child is co-operative,get the root canal treatment done to save the tooth. If not co-operating,get the tooth extracted. Space maintainer has to be inserted to prevent the migration of adjacent teeth into the space formed by extraction of tooth. This will help in proper eruption as well as alignment of permanent teeth erupting. Hope this helps out. If your doubts are cleared,please close the discussion. Take care.