What causes sudden pass out inspite of having a history of heart valve murmur?

Nov 2013

My son passed out and was taken by ambulance to hospital he had a cat scan and MRI a neurologist put him on seizure medicine. And he will go for cardiac checkup he passed. Out 15 years ago almost to the day he was diagnosed as a child with heart valve murmur could this problem be caused by the heart
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, heart valve problem can cause this. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your son's symptoms and the past history of a heart valve murmur. There are two main possibilities in this case: 1. Seizure- can be confirmed by doing MRI brain epilepsy protocol and electroencephalography (EEG). In any case, he has been started on anti-seizure medications. 2. Syncope- In this condition, the blood supply to the brain reduces, due to less pumping of blood by the heart. This condition can occur in a younger person due to a heart valve disease. An echocardiogram can help in diagnosis of heart valve disease. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: