What causes sudden limping?

Question
What would cause my legs to suddenly go limp? I get a weird feeling and have learned if I don't sit down now, I will fall down. I can sometimes get up after a few minutes, sometimes I can't. My arms are also paralysed.
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Neurosurgeon Detailed Answer: Hello, Delighted to be able to help. About the symptoms of his legs the first diagnosis to rule out is a recurrence of spinal stenosis.¿How much time has passed since your last surgical intervention? About paralysis of the arms, cervical disc herniation or neuropathy secondary to diabetes are possible diagnoses. Have you recently you been seen by a neurosurgeon? It is advisable to go to a neurosurgeon.He will examine you and, probably,will request additional tests(MRI and others) to rule out the pathologies mentioned. I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.

Follow-up: What causes sudden limping? 28 hours later
I was under the care of a neurologist, who was trying to blame epilepsye for my condition, but epilepsye was rulled out. Also had a CT scan of my spine, which was reviewed by a neurosurgeon. Spine isn't in the best condition, but he couldn't find anything that would explain my sporadic condition. Doing a little research on my own on periodic paralysis, I came up with a lot of information about potassium. Don't know if it's caused by hyper or hypo kalemia, and why. Most of the time I am fine but when this sudden paralysis strikes, it's frightening.

Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Hypokalemia, Detailed Answer: Hello.Delighted to be able to help. Hypokalemia would be a possible diagnosis,secondary to your diabetes. In poorly controlled diabetic patients with high glucose levels in blood occurs increasing amount of urine in urination causing potassium levels decreasing. However , usually hypokalemia causes muscle cramps or muscle pain. Paralysis is seen in severe hypokalemia secondary to very high glucose levels in blood. Do you check your glucose levels in blood periodically? Are you passing significant amount of urine? A measurement of glucose and potassium levels in blood would advisable. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.

Follow-up: What causes sudden limping? 19 hours later
Thanks for your reply. A few times after I had an episode, my blood sugar level was checked. It was in the normal range. My potassium level was not checked. No one thought about it. I do not get leg or muscle cramps, unless I am dehydrated. No, I do not pass significant amounts of urine. I have 2 friends who go more often than I do. One drinks copious amounts of water, the other doesn't drink any. I am at a loss trying to figure out what is happening.

Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Paralysis Detailed Answer: Hello.Delighted to be able to help. A measurement of your potassium levels is recommended. If potassium levels in blood are normal, would have to rule out the existence of a neuromuscular disease or neuropathy secondary to diabetes.For this, the neurologist must examine you and request additional tests. I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.

Follow-up: What causes sudden limping? 9 hours later
Just a quick follow up comment. My symptoms mimic those of a stroke, without the headache. The effects are also bilateral and no permanent damage seems to result. I don't know if TIA victims also feel as if they will fall down, if they don't sit down.

Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 2 hours later
Brief Answer: TIA Detailed Answer: Hello, Delighted to be able to help. The most common symptoms of TIA are weakness-paralysis ( but a body part,not bilateral), difficulty speaking and partial loss of vision. You just have one of the three symptoms and also your paralysis is not a part of the body.TIA symptoms usually last a few hours and although TIA may recur, does not appear so often that your sudden paralysis crisis. I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer. I wish you good health.