What causes sudden acute pain and numbness at side of labia?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi , My mom is 52 and she runs and exercises strenuously at least 6 times a week. Two days ago she was on an exercise trampoline and felt pain in her vaginal area. I believe the next day she went for her normal run and the pain persisted. This morning after her run the pain got severely worst. She said the left side of her labia has numbness and the tenderness is similar to after childbirth and it is painful to walk. She also said this happened before on the right side of her labia and she actually had worst pain that went down her upper leg. The closest thing I have found by researching the internet is Pudendal Neuralgia. I told her to take time off from any exercise. Can you inform me on what this may be and also what she can do now at home to ease the discomfort and how long this may last and when can she at least go walking to get exercise. Thank You for your time and help.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Due to nerve injury or compression. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The sudden acute pain and numbness that your other is having is likely to be due to pudendal nerve injury during the exercise; lower spine injury or due to a mild disc herniation. She needs an MRI scan for proper diagnosis and to know the cause of compression of the nerve. Right now she needs rest fro exercise till the acute pain improves completely. medicines like Pregabalin and Gabapentin can help her but it should be taken only after consulting a neurologist. The following measures will help with the pain • Lie on a hard bed. • Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( dont repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food. • Avoid forward bending. • Correct the posture while sitting • Avoid prolonged sitting • Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL