What causes stomach pain while taking blood thinners for atrial fibrillation?

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
I have been experiencing pain in my stomach area for the last month or so....maybe a bit longer. It bothers me mostly at night.....well, pretty much at night.....but not when I go to bed. If I wake up at around 4:30 or so in the morning, then I notice the pain.....like a dull pain, that gets worse slowly, and its always worse if I am laying flat on my back. If I turn to my left side, it usually gets worse, but if I turn to my right side, the pain usually goes away....the only time I have the pain is in the early morning hours.....once I get up out of bed, if the pain is still with me, it will go away once I sit up and stand up, and I do not have the pain anymore for the rest of the day.....also, I notice when I first get up in the morning, I have to burp, but have some problems with burping....its doesn't seem to want to come out, but it does a bit. I hope you can help me figure out what is causing this problem.....I am 63 years old, and have never ever had problems with pain in my stomach....I am scared it is stomach cancer, or my gallbladder, which makes me worry because I do not want an operation as I am on blood thinners due to A-Fib
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello & thank you for submitting your question. Often times stomach/abdominal pain is due to reflux gastritis. A peptic ulcer can also cause similar symptoms. Indeed there are other organs in the area, as you mention, and these cannot be evaluated without a good physical examination. The best thing for a good XXXXXXX of health and ease of mind would be to see your doctor for a checkup. Again, thank you for submitting your question and I hope this offers some help. Take care, Dr. G

Follow-up: What causes stomach pain while taking blood thinners for atrial fibrillation? 2 minutes later
Thank you...but I was just curious as to why the pain only comes at night when I am laying down, and not till in the early hours of the morning....4:00 a.m. and after?....are certain foods causing this pain.....?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: Hello again, Dyspepsia, or GERD, is often worse at night because when one is laying down gravity is not working to keep the reflux contents in the stomach or intestine. Foods notorious for exacerbating this condition include spicy foods, acidic foods, and chocolate. Weight-loss can also help with reflux problems. Waiting at least an hour before laying down for bed can help. Again, thank you for submitting your question. The best thing is to see your physician for a physical examination to get a better understanding of what you might be dealing with. Dr G

OK...thank you very much....I understand now about the laying down part....yes, I will be going to my family Dr. to follow up....one last question.....would drinking Pepsi or Coke be an issue you think for the reflux problem if for sure that is what my problem is? even tho most times I only drink pop during the day....very seldom in the evening

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: Hello, Drinks like Pepsi or Coke are acidic and contain carbonation, and therefore can worsen these problems. However, if you are drinking this infrequently and having it during the day, it is doubtful that it is significantly contributing to the symptoms. I'm glad to hear that you are planning a visit to the doctor. All the best, Dr. G