What causes stomach discomfort despite taking nexium for stomach cramps and diarrhea?

I think I may have gardia. I drank water from a stream 2 weeks ago and now suffer stomach cramps and diahorrea. My GP put me on a 7 day course of nexium however I am still suffering severe stomach discomfort. What do you suggest?
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Seems to be Gastrointestinal Infection Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Thanks for sharing with us. Drinking water from unhygienic sources can cause Gasto-intestinal infection , including Giardiasis. Yes , symptoms are like that only , a person often develops loose stools and abdominal cramping. Since you are not relieved by Nexium , it is not just a gastritis or acidity. I suggest you to get your stool examination done , which will rule out Giardiasis. You may discuss with your doctor , to add antibiotics like Metronidazole , Tinidazole. They are good for treatment of Gastrointestinal infections. I hope i am able to solve your query , ask me if you want to know anything more.