What causes stomach and back muscle spasms after taking Imodium?

Apr 2014

I have taken Imodium for years but now when I take it I get terrible stomach and back sides muscle spasms.
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Imodium can cause stomach pain. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM Imodium(Loperamide) is an antidiarrhoeal agent mainly prescribed in non infective cases like anxiety & traveller's diarrhea,irritable bowel syndrome. You should try for permanent solution of bowel problem. You may have irritable bowel syndrome(IBS).You should try to decrease your dependency on Imodium.It can cause stomach pain. You need proper clinical examination and investigations. Investigations include Routine hemogram,Stool (routine and microscopic examination)Random blood sugar(RBS),Liver function test(LFT),Renal function test(RFT),Lipid profile,Thyroid profile,Serum calcium and Vitamin D level,Urine RE/ME,Ultrasound of abdomen.Further investigations can be done if needed. Irritable bowel syndrome is a disease associated with large intestine and exact etiology is not known. There is no specific treatment of this disease. It can be controlled by altering diet pattern,psychological therapy and medicines. You should avoid hot and spicy food. You should take plenty of fibres in your diet in the form of salad etc. You should do regular exercise and if there is any stress factor,try to reduce it. You should avoid cold drinks and high gas forming vegetables like cabbage and cauliflower. You may need psychological counselling if needed. You should take anti-diabetic drugs regularly. Get well soon. Hope I have answered your question. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX