What causes stiff neck with burning sensation in middle fingers?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I awoke this morning with stiff/sore right side of neck. Have noticed an increasing burning sensation in my right hand in 3 middle fingers - from tip to second joint. Are the two things related? What does the burning fingers mean. Thanks for your comments. XXXX
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be due to neck muscle sprain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Stiff neck with burning sensation in the 3 middle fingers is suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis or a neck muscle sprain. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine or an abnormal neck position while sleeping. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration. X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis. Treatment includes 1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief. 2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful. 3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms. 4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist. 5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms. 6. You can avoid using a pillow. As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful). I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What causes stiff neck with burning sensation in middle fingers? 43 minutes later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you. I am glad I could help. Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. I wish you the very best in whatever you do. Warm regards