What causes spike in BP level?

Ok so a few days ago I asked a question on here about my high blood pressure I described my symptoms and such. The doctor suggested that I be check for pheocromocytoma. I had to go to emergency room last night because BP got real high and I was feeling horrible. The did ekg, chest x ray, blood work to check for heart damage and kidney function to make sure everything was ok there. Everything came back normal...with this blood work does this rule out what the doctor has previously discussed about pheochromocytoma? If not then what could be causing my BP problems. I take my meds as suggested.
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer: It may or may not be related to a cause... Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern. Before I answer your question I think you should know that blood pressure is broadly of two types. 1. Primary hypertension - where the cause is unknown 2. Secondary hypertension - where the cause is established. Renal pathology, previous heart ailment, endocrine and metabolic disturnbances are the commonly known causes. Cardiac blood tests and kidney functions does not rule out pheochromacytoma. We require atleast serum catecholamine and 24 hours urine VMA levels to exclude pheochromacytoma. If your blood pressures are stable now, do not be overtly concerned. You can discuss about pheochromacytoma with your treating doctor the next time you seem him/her. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: What causes spike in BP level? 1 hour later
My bp has been stable up until two weeks ago. Last night when they came to get me for my xray i got neevous and started having an episode could it be related to anxiety the reasons for the spikes? Also how is pheochromocytoma treated? Meds?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Surgery is the standard treatment... Detailed Answer: Hi, I am sorry if the discussion with previous doctor about pheochromocytoma has trigger alarms now. Pheochromocytoma is an extremely rare tumour of the adrenal gland. Some studies figure the incidence as low as 2 in million people. I wouldn't be very concerned about such extremely rare tumour. As discussed by the previous doctor, we conduct tests to exclude secondary causes in young hypertensives with extremely high blood pressure. And in my opinion it is most likely the stress that raised your blood pressure at ER; and not adrenal crisis. You can talk about it during your next visit to the doctor. And for the sake of answers; pheochromocytoma is treated surgically - excision of the tumour gland. Hope it helps. I will be pleased to answer your doubts. Best wishes
Follow-up: What causes spike in BP level? 11 minutes later
I will follow up with my primary physician this week hopefully today and see if i can get his opinion and answers . I will keep you posted. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sure... Detailed Answer: In the interim I urge you to follow your medicines and other instructions given by the doctor. Non compliance to treatment is one of the common reasons why I see accelerated and uncontrolled blood pressure at my clinic. Besides being religious with treatment, I also recommend that you follow a low salt diet and a good exercise regime. You should be able to keep the blood pressure numbers in stable limits. Good luck!!