What causes soreness and pain in left knee?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have been taking Apo Mometason Furoate Nasal Spray and also later Amys Fluticasone Furoate Nasal Spray and I noticed within just a few day of using either a significant joint and muscle pain (knees, elbows, shoulders and fingers). After about 3 or 4 days of staying off the sprays the effect subsided generally. However, my left knee continued to be sore to the point where it was so painful that I could not put any weight on my left leg. After about a month of walking with crutches suddenly the pain became unbearable. knee began to buckle and the pain radiated up the femor and down the Tibia to the foot. Now I have to take pain killers to walk and to get any sleep. Could ti be a side effect of the subject medication? Thanks Corrections and strength of the medications mentioned: Apo-Mometasone Furoate 50mcg Avamys Fluticasone Furoate 27.5 mcg
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Bones pain is possible side effect of both these inhalers,especially mometasone. This should subside after drug is stopped and usually pain disappear within 4 weeks. But if inhalers were used for longer periods then it may be prolonged. More serious side effect is decreased bone mass, which can affect bone strength. This is caused by any steroid drug especially in people who have previously some bone disoders such as osteoporosis or arhritis. So if there is clear relation between taking these inhalers and ypur symptoms then probably this is side effect,but it is possible that you have some other joont condition triggered by inhalers or it started coincidently with inhalers usage. I suggest to wait for 1 week more and use nonsteroid painkillers. if there is no improivement you should see rheumatologist and rule out some autoimmune diseases and most common types of systemic arhritits. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards