What causes sore throat inspite of having a treated thyroid cancer?

I had my thyroid removed Oct 20th 2013 due to cancer. the caner was very small and I got my full body scan they said I was cancer free. I was wondering if it is normal to have a sore throat. I didn't have one for months and now I do. Not a sick sore throat but like I screamed to loud and strained my voice. What are the chances of thyroid cancer coming back? I did take the XXXXXXX it was a small dose of 29ml. I took a blood test and going to get my results tomorrow just wondering if they are checking for cancer or just TSH. Thanks
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Thyroid cancer recurrece risk is low Detailed Answer: Hi Ms.XXXX, Welcome to Healthcare magic. From the history which you provided, i presume you had a papillary or a follicular type of thyroid cancer. This is a slow growing cancer and can be effectively treated and often cured by surgery followed by radio iodine ablation. Your sorethroat is unlikely due to cancer per se, however, radio iodine treatment sometimes can cause local irritation. But you need a thorough neck and throat examination. Sore throat is most commonly caused by a viral infection. From what you mentioned, the thyroid cancer was very small and it is unlikely to cause a sore throat or voice trouble. The chances of it coming back is also very low. But you need to be under follow up of an endocrinologist for the next few years who will arrange periodic check ups. The follow up blood tests include TSH and Thyroglobulin levels and anti thyroid antibody. This helps to check if there is any trace of thyroid tissue in the body. The dose of Thyroxine should be high enough to suppress your TSH for next few years so that it will help the cancer tissue not to come back. I am sure that your endocrinologist will be doing all the above and i wish you all the best.