What causes small round ball like bowel movement?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I have a 2 part question regarding my 5 year old son's bowels. 1. He always seems to poop small round balls. Sometimes it is hard for him to have a bowel movement but not all the time. Is this normal? 2. He usually has a bowel movement once a day or once every other day. He had a bowel movement this afternoon after school. Then tonight before bath, he stated he needed to go again. Only 1 ball of poop came out. However, in the toilet was a string of white mucus. When he wiped, there was normal-looking poop on the toilet paper. Should I be concerned about the mucus? Thank you!!
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Increase water and fiber intake. Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing your query. After reading your post, I would like to advise that you should increase the water and fiber intake in his food. Give him more salads and fruits like papaya, guava, etc. I would also advise that he should given deworming by Albendazole, if not done already. Stool examination will be helpful. If no infection is present, you should not feel much concerned for the mucus. I would also suggest that you should get him examined by a Paediatrician. I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help. Thanks.
Follow-up: What causes small round ball like bowel movement? 4 minutes later
What makes you suggest Albendazole? Could the mucus be caused by constipation or hard bowel movements?
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Constipation can be due to intestinal worms. Detailed Answer: Hi, Albendazole is used for deworming. Sometimes due to intestinal worms, , constipation occur. Since small children sometimes avoid hand washing before eating anything, they are more prone to worm infestation. Hence the reason for prescription of Albendazole. Mucus is normally present in our stools but not visible with the eyes. If mucus is visible, it can be due to:- 1.Worm infestation. 2.Bacterial infection. 3.Irritable Bowel Syndrome. 4.Constipation. A stool examination will help to plan further treatment for presence of mucus in stool. I hope this answers your query. If you have any further doubts, please mention. Regards. Thanks.