What causes shortness of breath with chest discomfort?

ENT Specialist
I am experiencing shortness of breath after I eat. I also experience some mild chest discomfort after I eat. Even with small meals I experience this. Lying down helps, but it does not completely go away. Could this be a hiatal hernia?
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: can be GERD Detailed Answer: Hello madam and thanks for using healthcaremagic, From your symptoms it does appear that you have reflux. At the lower end of the food pipe there is a sphincter. Laxity of that sphincter causes ingested food to reflux back into the food pipe causing chest discomfort and heart burn. Chances of reflux are more when there is a hiatal hernia. But the presence of hiatal hernia can be confirmed only by upper GI endoscopy. You will require antacids and prokinetics to control your symptoms. Prokinetics will empty your stomach faster so that chances of reflux are fewer. If your symptoms do not improve then you need to see a gastroenterologist for an upper GI endoscopy. GERD can be confirmed or refuted only on endoscopy and also a hiatal hernia can be looked for. Sometimes heart disease can also present with the same symptoms as GERD. Taking your age into account i suggest that you should also meet with a physician to rule out heart disaese. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi
Follow-up: What causes shortness of breath with chest discomfort? 7 hours later
I am also experiencing a deep discomfort between my shoulder blades in my back. I had a stress test last yr which was negative. I also experience some chest discomfort with exertion. I have been taking Nexium for about 2 day and have found no relief. When I lie down this seems to be somewhat better. My rheumatologist suggested it could be pericarditis. Could this it instead? who should I see a GI doctor or cardiologist. I have a bad LDL of 199 and my cholesterol is starting to run high. I am lethargic but not sure if it is related to lupus or something else.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: physician (internal medicine) or cardiologist Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, Chest discomfort on exertion points towards a cardiac problem. So please see either a general physician or a cardiologist. Till then do not exert yourserlf unnecessarily. Hope you feel better soon. Dr Rajkishori Godhi.