What causes sharp pain on left hand from finger tips up to shoulder?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a sharp pain on my left hand from my finger tips up to my shoulder... Its a sharp pain never felt yhis pain before.. What can it be, this started 2 hrs
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Could be due to compression of nerve Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I feel honoured having this opportunity to address your health worries today. I am so sorry about what you have been experiencing. According to your symptoms it looks like there is compression of nerve in cervical [neck area] spine. This leads to radiating pain in your hand. Most probable reason for your symptoms could be postural problem. You may need to take x ray spine to see for severity of nerve compression. Some medication like methylcobalamine with muscle relaxant and analgesic will help, you can take them consulting your treating doctor. Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- gradual neck rotation, touching your ears to shoulder, shoulder shrugging exercises. You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care