What causes sharp pain in neack vein?

During the night I was awaken by a sharp pain in the vein in my neck on the left side. It felt like a knife but didn't last too long. I rubbed it and it subsided fairly quickly. Today while working on my computer I felt another stab. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: peripheral neuropathy Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic Unusual sensations in any aspect of the body are usually related to the nervous system because this is its responsibility. Abnormal sensations are called neuropathy. They are due to abnormal structure or function of the nerves. It can be central neuropathy or peripheral neuropathy. Central means it relates to the brain or spinal cord (such as stroke or damage to spinal cord) and peripheral means it is related to nerves outside the brain and spinal cord. Peripheral neuropathy is more common than central neuropathy. It presents is abnormal sensations such as the sharp pain you experienced. Other persons may experience sticking, burning, tingling, numbness etc In some cases the abnormal sensations are only temporary and stop after a few hours or days. Causes: (1) vitamin deficiency particularly vitamin b12 or folate (2)diabetes (3)trauma to the nerves in the area involved. This can even by minor trauma (4)thyroid disease (5)exposure to toxins (6)liver and kidney diseases (7)connective tissue disease such as rheumatoid arthritis (8)idiopathic- this is where the cause is not known You can consider monitoring to determine if the symptoms continue. This can be done for 2 to 3 days at least. As mentioned in some cases, the symptoms resolve. If they persist or worsen then you can visit your doctor for an assessment. This would include physical examination and blood tests. In some cases nerve conduction tests may be suggested. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions