What causes sharp pain and sorness in knees?

Dec 2012

I have sore knees. It first started in my left knee with sharp pain on the outside of my knee cap & then got worse with my knee being sore at the back. I have not injured my knee. This started about 6 weeks ago. Last week my right knee started the same way with sharp pain in through my knee cap. It hurts to straighten my knees & when I go up or down stairs.It also hurts when I am sitting & then stand up. Medications I have tried are naproxen, celebrex & indomethacin but the pain does not seem to subside.What do you think.
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: The cause should be investigated further Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am pleased to be able to assist you with your query. It is quite obvious that you are suffering from a form of arthritis and given that you have been taking medications to ease the pain with no success, I will suggest get checked by a doctor who can try to identify the specific type of arthritis. There are several types grouped under two main forms: septic/infectious and non-septic/non-infectious. Treatment of septic arthritis often necessitate the use of antibiotics associated to antiinflammatory. I often treat septic arthritis with injection of penicillin associated to steroidal antiinflammatory. This often relieves patients within a couple of weeks (2-3). In the other hand, if the cause is non-infectious, then specific types will need to investigated as subsequent treatment will depend on that. For example, if you are suffering from gouty arthritis (which is often found with elevated uric acid levels); the specific treatment will require antigout medications. I suggest you see a doctor who can take a closer look at you and then provide specific treatment (A rheumatologist will be best suited for your condition). Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah