What causes severre back ache?

Question
Hi Doctor, I find myself in a very difficult situation. My wife has a chronic lower back paid which is pretty severe and I believe there is something wrong because of which she has the pain. This started in March 2013 and we went to see an orthopedic surgeon. He asked for an Xray, which did not show anything, he asked for a MRI of the lumber spine, it was done, still no results, the report came out clean. The doctor said nothing to worry. We went to a second orthopedic doctor who also said the same thing, yet my wife is in severe pain and she is having to live and work with it every day. I do not know who to see and what to do. Her sister has Spinal Tuberculosis, could she be also affected with that? or could it be some problem with her kidney? She has already been diagnosed of Hiatus Hernia and underwent a treatment for that. Could there be some issues with her colon? Please suggest which doctor or specialist should we see now?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later
Brief Answer: See a general surgeon Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic. Yes, if back pain is present, then a cause would also be there. Now it is not easy to find cause when MRI came back negative. I would like to answer you specific questions: I do not know who to see and what to do. A. See a general surgeon Her sister has Spinal Tuberculosis, could she be also affected with that? A. Yes it is possible. Can do PPD or Montoux test to start with. or could it be some problem with her kidney? A. Yes kidney problems can be an issue. Can get a urine analysis and an ultrasound abdomen to check. She has already been diagnosed of Hiatus Hernia and underwent a treatment for that. Could there be some issues with her colon? A. Yes colon can be affected. Let us first do an ultrasound of an abdomen. Hope it helps. Let me know if you have further queries. Dr Vaishalee