What causes severe pain in the base of skull?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been having pain in back of head where it meets spine, for 12 yrs. Around the time I had a water skiing accident, where I was yanked forward and flipped across water. I felt paralyzed for moments after then soreness in neck for a few days. I am only 30 yrs old and have been seeing dr about this for 10yrs. 6 of which have been actively receiving treatments and having tests done. I have had more CAT scans and MRI's than I can count. I have had physical therapy (2x wk for12 wks) numerous injections and blocks and been on every medication imaginable! Nothing has worked to lessen the pain but pain medication. The pain I experience on a daily basis is so excruciating and debilitating that I can't function! I have the feeling of pressure behind my eyes, pain in temple and jaw and just under the base of my skull, as we'll as in my shoulders and neck. I used to have perfect posture, now my head seems to sit forward too far. I find myself slouching or laying back in chair to take pressure away (which I know only exasterbates the problem) but I can't tolerate any other way. Drs don't seem to think I should be having this much pain from bulging disc. Could they be missing something on MRI? Would a positional MRI reveal more? I should also mention I had high spinal fluid pressure at one time, which was drained, and don't know the cause for. Recently I have low white blood count and spouts of low or high blood pressure. What could be going on? How can I get drs to find the real problem and take me serious? And most important, how do I get some relief?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to neurological cause. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The chronic pain that you are having with all the normal investigation reports is likely to be due to a neurological cause. A positional RI and EEG can help in revealing some neurological problem. You need to consult a neurologist. medicines like Gabpentin and Pregabalin ay help you to some extent. A bulging disc is not likely to cause a pain in the temples or base of the skull like you are having. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL