What causes severe pain in knees?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi - I have a searing burning pain in my knee. It's my right knee on the knobbly bit on the side which I think is my fibula? It doesn't hurt when I walk or exercise, but when I kneel or put any direct pressure on it, e.g. when I climb in to bed, the pain takes my breath away. It's a sharp burning pain and takes a few minutes to subside. Any ideas what this might be? Thanks very much in advance!
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Need investigations. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. As per your history, You might having problem of - Arthritis( osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, crystalline arthritis) - This affects the joints and can cause pain Patellofemoral syndrome and chondromalacia patella Iliotibial band syndrome Bursitis Since these conditions can only be differentiated by an examination, I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray and MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance to see any arthritic changes, joint destruction or any other pathology. You can also upload the X-rays here so that we can discuss this here. You can use 'Upload your reports' section. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL