What causes severe pain in hands?

I have extreme pain (beyond a 10, if that is possible) which seemed to begin with my elbow and runs along my forearm, across the top of my hand and to a few fingers. The pain has also at times (but nothing in severity to the other) runs from my elbow to my armpit. There is pain in my elbow down to my fingers all the time but it is these episodes of intense pain that are so bad I can't take it anymore. Any ideas, which I would never hold you to, on what could be the issue and what kind of doctor should I see. Thank you for your time and advice.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Rheumatologist/neurologist to be consulted.... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thank you for sharing your concern with XXXXXXX I have read your medical data carefully and understood your concerns. I'd suggest to: - see a neurologist and to get neurological (EMG, neurological function tests) to rule out damages to the local nerves - see a rheumatologist and do some blood tests to exclude arthritis - get your heart and blood pressure checked by the cardiologist to rule out heart problems. You should run cardiac tests too. - run doppler echo of the arm's blood vessels Meanwhile, I advise to: - take medications as prescribed by your doctor - do regular massaging of the aching arm with olive/lavender oil - apply warm clothing (or warm salt) to the pain area - apply otc analgesic cream to the aching area at night - take otc pain killers to reduce pain Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana