What causes severe lower back pain?

Hello Doctor, My wife have a severe lower back pain. This is repeating problem for her. Sometimes when there is more cold in the morning, she feels sudden sensation of nerve twitch in her lower back area and then she feels unconscious and faints when she tries to do some movement in that state. We had consulted a doctor a year ago and had MRI scan, doctor said that there is a swollen area near a vertebra. When this vertebra teases the muscles around she feels pain. Note: This time she had a severe pain in her legs. She is currently taking Neorelax MR 4MG TAB and applying SUPAMOVE cream on lower back area. Kindly suggest.
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: needs repeat MRI Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I am sorry about the pain your wife is suffering from. In my view, she needs a repeat MRI now to look at the status of the swollen area. The pain in the legs could be due to impingement of nerve exiting the spinal canal in the lower vertebral area. It is also possible that this back pain can be related to her menstrual cycles as well, since there is lot of muscle stretching during ovulation and pre-menstrual phase. This is often accompanied by fainting attacks. Please get a review MRI of spine done and consult with a skilled spinal surgeon about the same. Wish your wife a quick recovery.