What causes severe burning in scapula?

I am struck at times with acute severe burning over my left scaula. I have no warning ofvthis and it can happen anytime. this occurs more if I am stressed-I am a clinical psychologist. I have degenerative spinal disease for which I take a hydrocodone compound of 15 mg. However, this pain pill has no effect one way or the other on the burning. Would a muscle relaxer here be indicated since it seems to be the tissue on fire? This is becoming a bigger problem and is happening more frequently. XXXX
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Muscle relaxant may not help Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Based on the description of the symptom you, it appears to be due to nerve weakness. Such symptoms can be presented when the nerves loose there insulation or any damage in their axons. This leads to improper nerve conduction and result in paraesthesia . I suggest you to take Multivitamin supplements especially those containing Vit B12 on daily basis for a minimum of two months, which help in maintaining the nerve health and prevent such problems in the nerve conduction. Wish you good health. Regards,