What causes rise in ALT and AST levels?

Hi, I'm a 47 yr old, generally, healthy male. I just got my blood work back and it revealed a slight high AST (40 U/L). I believe the reason for the slightly high AST is because of the pain medications I've been taking. I have a herniated disc in my neck C6. Is the there reason for concern with that number (40)? Do I need to cut back on the pain medication? In which I've been only taking, 10mg once a week, as of late. By the way, my ALT is at 63 U/L. Further, the doctor never made mention of that reading, therefore I'm thinking he's not concerned. Thanks
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get repeated after 2 weeks. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend .Welcome to XXXXXXX I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I would try to help you. Rise in ALT and AST can be due to pain killers like paracetamol. Other common causes are : 1. Alcohol intake. 2. Acute viral hepatitis. I would suggest you to stop pain killers and alcohol intake (if you consume alcohol). Get your liver function tests repeated after 2 weeks. I expect your ALT and AST will settle. Let us know if they are still increasing , you will require further investigations. I hope I am able to answer your query , still if you have any query ask me