What causes right-sided pelvic pain and vaginal pressure?

Question
i have had right side pelvic pain and pelvic pressure with a normal abdominal ultra sound, normal colonoscopy and numerous blood/urine test all being normal. Being treated for ibs with biscopan ad t4 with are of little help. does this warrent a second opinion or gyncological referral?
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help you... Detailed Answer: You have given little information and I will help you if you can answer the following questions: 1. How old are you? 2. When did the pelvic pain start? 3. What makes it worse? 4. What makes it better? 5. When was the last time you had a pelvic exam? Thank you.

Follow-up: What causes right-sided pelvic pain and vaginal pressure? 20 hours later
I am a 52 yr old woman. I had a hysterectomy in 2000; and right ovary removed in 2002. The pelvic pain and vaginal pressure started in Nov. 2014 which is aggrivated by urinating and/or bowel movements. Lying down seems to also bring on the symptoms. i am not fond of the T4's due to the nature of the feeling of being "high" and recently resorted to taking 3 extra strength advil. I am going to guess that my last pelvic exam was in 2009

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for the followup... Detailed Answer: So you are 52 years of age, had a hysterectomy and right ovary removed about 12 years ago, and just recently began to have the onset of right-sided pelvic pain and vaginal pressure made worse with urination, bowel movements and lying down. I am going to propose to you that this might very well be a GYN issue. Given that the workup has been relatively thorough, including a colonoscopy, and you have not had a pelvic exam in about 4-5 years. One explanation might be related to pelvic organ prolapse. With relaxation of the normal support of the bladder, vagina and rectum, you could very well have symptoms like you are describing. A visit to your OB/GYN is indicated and you can specifically ask them if they see any prolapse and if this could be a contributing factor. If there is still no explanation, then you need a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis. I hope that this helps and good luck!

Follow-up: What causes right-sided pelvic pain and vaginal pressure? 41 hours later
do you think that a female pelvis ultra sound would detect such a problem as pelvic organ prolapse?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you... Detailed Answer: The pelvic ultrasound is a great way to look at the ovaries and if there are any masses in the pelvis. As I said, a combination of an exam and better imaging might lead to the best explanation possible. What other questions do you have?

Follow-up: What causes right-sided pelvic pain and vaginal pressure? 3 hours later
I have no other questions. I was just querying since my Reg. GP feels that a pelvic ultra sound with not show any indications of much. But thank you for your insight.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your are very welcome!! Detailed Answer: Good luck and please let me know if you have questions in the future. Start a new question and start with "This is for Dr. Raichle..."