What causes redness in my eye when suffering from flu?

started with the flu now my eye are red and can't be by light .have sharp pain above them. have been to both doctor and eye doctor. has been going on 1 week did have me put just eye drops and 3 days of azithromycin didn't help
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: This can be because of conjunctivitis. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you had flu following which you are having redness of eyes, pain in the eyes,sensitivity to light. The condition is probably acute conjunctivitis because of infection of the conjunctiva. Sensitivity to light indicates involvement of cornea in the form of keratitis. The treatment of the condition is by antibiotic eye drops. The condition takes 1-2 weeks to resolve depending on the severity of the condition. I usually start my patients with two antibiotics eye drops covering all the organisms like moxifloxacin and tobramycin. Please do mention which drops you are using as you have mentioned in the history that you are using eye drops and 3 days of Azithromycin tablets, so that I can answer you more accurately depending on the treatment you have taken. Hope the information is helpful to you Thank you