What causes red spots around the penis shaft?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I've had unprotected sex with the same girl 4 times in the last month. Each time, I had 2-3 small red spots on my shaft that went away within a week or so. They didn't hurt or itch and weren't raised. There was no discharge. After the most recent session, I noticed about 6-8 of the same spots, scattered around my shaft. Still no pain or itch. Could be having some sort of reaction to my partner? Never had this issue before.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please provide pic of the small red spots on shaft Detailed Answer: Hi, Before running into conclusions, I'd ask to have a picture of your small red spots around your shaft? That will help me assist your further. There are many causes to such red spots around your shaft including : - reaction to your partner vaginal discharge (perhaps your partner is having vaginosis) - pearly penile papules - warts A further physical examination (or by picture) would help to identify the real cause and to take proper measures. Looking forward to have the requested picture in! Dr.Bardha
Follow-up: What causes red spots around the penis shaft? 7 minutes later
I've uploaded 3 pictures. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Pics show folliculitis either infectious&allergy Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up and uploading your pictures. I have seen your photos and could say that the red dots appearing on your shaft that disappear within a week could be folliculitis most probably due to: - changes in the vaginal pH of your partner - local infection I'd suggest to - get a course of antibiotics for at least 7 days and get your partner treated as well - discuss with your partner if she is having any vaginal infection or other local problems or whether she is taking any meds recently, especially locally (vagina) - keep good hygiene of your genitalia, wash it immediately after having sex If the red spots would be there even after taking antibiotic, then, a further evaluation by a dermatologist is needed to exclude Molluscum contagiosum. All the best! Dr.Bardha
Follow-up: What causes red spots around the penis shaft? 28 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. Based on those pictures and what I've described, would it be safe to rule out more serious STD's, such as herpes?
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Further tests need to carry out for herpes... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. The pictures you sent in were not indicative for herpetic infection. However, to rule it out, further tests should be carried out. Take care! Dr.Bardha