What causes red rash on thighs?

Hello, For the past 2 weeks Or more have had very red blister type spots on the inside of both of my thighs. It started off as just a few spots but now it seems to have gotten worse. I shaved my thighs thinking the friction from hair may have been causing it but now seems that the rash has spread but since the change the blisters seem to get very smooth and don't really stick out, sometimes it feels tender but I don't know if that's just my imagination. Based on everything I've been looking at it seems like it's folliculitis but I'm freaking out thinking it could be herpes! Please help.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This is not herpes Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this rash. The description of this rash is ore suggestive for folliculitis and not herpes. herpes is sexually contracted and would most likely start on the genital(penis/scrotum) because this is more likely to come in contact with any lesions on the partner and not the inner thighs. also, the evolution of herpes is typical of vesicule(fluid filled blisters) that progress to give way to clean ulcers. This is clearly not what you described. added to the point that you recently shaved, after shave folliculitis stands most likely than herpes. The bes approach is to keep these lesions clean. wash them with an antiseptic like chlorhexidine. Keep it airy, dry and avoid putting on many dresses than can cause sweating and increased humidity that can delay recovery. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What causes red rash on thighs? 8 minutes later
I am so glad to hear that! Just to be clear however I feel I should repeat that there were a few blister type thins before I shaved but I shaved thinking it would be better however it got worse. They only released fluid if I popped it and it was a white substance. Like I said however now they seem to not be raised anymore and more completely smooth. I felt it was most likely folliculitis due to the fact that most sores seem to be right where a hair is (and where there is not it's probably because I shaved the hair away) I hope this restated information keeps the same diagnosis! Thanks so much for the treatment suggestions as well, will get right to it!
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you so much! Detailed Answer: Thank you so much for following up with me. This information further reinforces the suspicion of folliculitis. I am even more confident of the diagnosis with this added information. Stick to the proposed plan above and feel free to update me if anything new or concerning should arise. I wish you well and a speedy recovery. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What causes red rash on thighs? 16 hours later
Last night I used a cream that had Clotrimazole in it because I misread your recommendation but it seems to already be improving! Either this cream also helps, it's my imagination, or it's jus running it's course! Thanks again so much for all of your help and relieving my anxiety over the situation!
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: That is an antifungal cream Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. It is an anti fungal cream. Well, it has minimal side effects and make sure you do not apply it on broken skin. Fungal infections generally cause dry itchy rash that expands in a circular fashion. This isn't typical of what you described. Because it helps,I have no reasons to discourage its use though not the exact treatment for your condition. Am humbled to know I really helped you to stay relaxed. I wish you a speedy resolution of symptoms. Feel free to ask any more related health questions if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.