What causes red pimples on the tongue tip?

Hi there. My 16 month old boy has about 5 or 6 small little white pimples on the end of his tongue. The surrounding area of the bumps are red. He goes to day care and I noticed it when I picked him up. Can you help?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Skin lesions over tongue, to find the cause Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Your child has some lesions over the tongue. I would like to know which part of the tongue does he have them? Is it on the front part or the posterior part of the tongue. Since when does he have them? Does he has any excessive crying especially when feeding? Are they unlikely to be trauma due to teeth? Can you somehow click a close up picture of the same and upload it here on this page. It will help us in reaching a definite diagnosis if I can have a look at it. I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the above details and if possible, the pictures. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What causes red pimples on the tongue tip? 8 minutes later
Hi there Dr XXXXXXX Thanks for your response. He is down in bed so I can't take a pic! To answer some of your questions above: The lesions are on the front part of the tongue. I only noticed them this evening when we got home from daycare. He has been a little miserable this evening but that could be due to picking him up later from daycare. He just started a week ago so he is pretty exhausted. He didn't eat his dinner actually but I spoke with his daycare and they said he had a snack just before I picked him up so I put it down to him not being hungry. He drank his milk out of the bottle and was fine. We took his temp and it was 37.5. I have noticed this evening that a 4th tooth is coming through (his lateral incisor) on the upper teeth. I hope the above is sufficient. Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Oral lesions, maintain oral hygiene Detailed Answer: Hi again It might be a little difficult to reach a final diagnosis in your case but there are a few possibilities that I can suggest. Most importantly, the lesions could just be raised papillae of the tongue. These lesions will settle of their own in few days. The next possibility is that of trauma from the teeth. In this case, you can very well find out. The above two are probably not much to be worried about. But if your child also has some whitish coating over the tongue especially in its posterior part along with these white lesions in the anterior part, then a possibility on Candida infection can be kept. In either case, I would suggest that you give your child lots of oral fluids so as to keep flushing the area and keep the oral cavity as clean as possible. Most of the times, these lesions tend to subside on their own with proper oral hygiene. If however, the lesions tend to persist even after a week to ten days or they tend to increase, then you should surely see a nearby doctor and get a proper check up done. Hope it helps Dr Geetika Paul