What causes red patches on penis and night sweats after unprotected sex?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2013
Sep 2013

Question
Hi I had unprotected sex about 2 weeks ago and now I have red patches on my penis and have night sweats every night. I am seeing a doctor tomorrow but am completely stressing out at the moment. Please help.
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: S T D Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. Based on the details provided, I would come up with these possibilities for these red patches over penis with night sweats; they include 1. Syphilis (secondary) - Diagnosis can be confirmed by serological examination as - Nontreponemal ,VDRL ,more specific but less sensitive. - Treponemal test ,more specific than nontreonemal test and this test is mainly used for CONFIRMATION. 2. Gonorrhea - diagnosis can be confirmed by gram stain, Culture and nucleic acid hybridization tests 3. Chlamydia trachomatis & genital herpes I would consider the aforementioned test to screen out sexually transmitted disease. I would also consider P24 antigen test to rule out HIV. Red patches over penis after unprotected sexual intercourse is concerning. It may or may not be related to sexually transmitted disease. However I feel it is necessary that you undergo those screening tests. Hope this information will be helpful for you. I am available for further enquiries. Good luck. Dr. HET.

Follow-up: What causes red patches on penis and night sweats after unprotected sex? 19 hours later
Thank you for your reply. Is it possible to test for hiv after two weeks? The red patches on my penis started after about two days and they have gone from just one to about five over the two weeks. I am really concerned about the night sweats and haven't been sleeping. I read that night sweats are a symptom of early hiv. Would these be present after one and a half weeks. Thank You

Brief Answer: STD Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing back. Any way at least one month require for any (positive or negative )result for HIV .However now a days new results are available ,but you should wait for one month. Excessive sweating is not due to HIV in your case but it is due to tension ( stress or anxiety )in your brain. Red patches may be due to STD as I mentioned in previous reply. Once any person infected with HIV symptoms (infection ) starts at once , however appear after one month or depending upon the general condition of patient. Good luck. Dr.HET

Follow-up: What causes red patches on penis and night sweats after unprotected sex? 21 hours later
I really think I have hiv. I havent slept in 2 days due to night sweats and am now sweating all day and get chills from time to time. Could this just be from being so anxious? If so why would I wake up after a hours sleep covered in sweat and not be able to get back to sleep?

Brief Answer: Sweats & chills Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX, Nigh sweats and chills may be due to . 1 Urinary tract infection ,get in urine culture and drug sensitivity test .Upload this report and I will see the report. 2 Anxiety is the reason of this sweating at this time. 3 Fear of any thing breeds tension in mind and insomnia develops ( lack of sleep ). Hope this information will be helpful for you. Good luck. Not think so much , just deal as mentioned in previous replies. Dr.HET

Follow-up: What causes red patches on penis and night sweats after unprotected sex? 18 hours later
Hi Dr.HET Thank you very much for your help. I got tested today and the the doctor said I was at high risk due to the encounter. He said the red marks on my penis are of no concern. He took the tests but the results wont be back until next week and then there not accurate until the 6 month period anyway. I am certain I have as I am showing all of the signs and the women was a sex worker who bled after I came. Sorry to keep bothering you. Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello again Detailed Answer: After unprotected sex most of individuals start developing fear of getting infected and this result in severe anxiety. Best thing in this case is to get the status of the commercial sex worker checked. If she come negative then you are safe. If possible try and get her tested. Other way is to get P24 antigen assay done after about 4 weeks. This is the test which can detect HIV even in a month. HIV virus have incubation period of variable period and in most of cases it takes at least 3-6 months to develop symptoms. Symptoms immediately after encounter like in a week are most likely not due to HIV. Don't panic, most likely you are not infected. Thanks