Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

What causes red painful itchy beauty spot during pregnancy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
Hi I'm pregnant from 7 weeks.My problem is that I've got a beauty spot on my face since birth.From yesterday my beauty spot area is red and i feel little bit pain and itching.I thing that this beauty spot is little bit bigger.I's it normal when someone is pregnant??I'm 22 years old
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query,

Your question is a good one and I'll try to provide you with some relevant information regarding the same.

Any change in the mole related to itching ,increase in size ,pain or bleeding is not a good sign especially if these changes are seen over a long period of time.

In certain cases there is a mild inflammation associated with pain which would subside with oral antibiotics only .But if these changes are prolonged or persistent for long duration then it should be investigated properly.

A excision biopsy should be done to rule out any malignant changes in the mole.

At this moment since you are 7 week pregnant ,I can only advise you to apply a good topical antibiotic and see the response .

For any oral antibiotic you should consult your gynecologist and dermatologist to take their advise.

These changes which you are seeing are not directly related to pregnancy.

If these changes are seen even after taking oral antibiotic then an excision biopsy should be done.

Meanwhile you should also use a good sunscreen daily to protect from direct sunlight.

Hope I've answered your query.
Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes red painful itchy beauty spot during pregnancy? 1 hour later
my grandmother had the same problem many years ago and doctor advise her to remove that beauty spot and she had surgery for that.This beauty spot i have in the same place on face as my grandmother.What you suggest me? should i remove that beauty spot?
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 11 hours later

Thank you for writing back,

Yes there is no harm in removing the beauty spot, but first let the inflammation subside completely. This can be done with the help of antibiotics.

At times beauty spots are familial or genetic, so that's not surprising.

There are different methods to remove the beauty spot, depending upon which method is available at your place. It also depends upon the size of the spot.

Right from lasers to radio-frequency or even excision with the help of surgery can be done for the spot.

Kindly XXXXXXX a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon for the same.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor