What causes red dent on nails?

Hello Dr, I have been concerned lately about my nails. just above the half moon on my fingernails they start red then go to normal color. I developed a serious ear/sinus infection and around 3 weeks later I noticed a large dent in my left thumb. smaller dent in my right thumb and both index fingers as well. At that time I noticed the color of my nails. I dont know if they were like this before I never really looked. My tonsils are always infected and the one on the left is very large. I am afraid the nail changes are a sign of something serious. I have found in Las Vegas it takes a miracle to see a doctor without a long wait and is causing alot of stress until I can get in to see someone
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Beau's line Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic, What you are having is Beau's line on the nail. This small dent is the cause of red color as well. When you had a serious bout of sinus infection( physical stress), your nail matrix was also under stress and could not make nail at a normal rate or amount. So the nail plate formed at that time became defective. Then after the stress the nail matrix resumed normal function and nail started growing normally. Your nail grows at the rate of approximately 3 mm a month and thus the abnormal nail is pushed forwards as new nail grows. You need not worry and slowly the entire dented nail will grow out. This nail change is nothing serious. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarifications I will be happy to help. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes red dent on nails? 1 hour later
Ok yes I did read about XXXXXXX lines and assumed this May be the same. As for the red color I was worried because every nail is red just below the lunula. Then the nails goes to a lighter color. So my infection around 6 weeks ago has most likely effected the color of every nail making the part closest to the lunula red then changing color to normal towards the end of the nail correct?
Brief Answer: nail color Detailed Answer: Welcome back, Every nail bed is slightly red after lunula and paler towards the end. In your case it has just become prominent and you started noticing it because of beau's line. It is not Muehrcke's or Mee's lines or anything connected to internal disease. Hope this helped, Take care.