What causes red bumps appear at center of back and chest?

Dec 2013

These red bumps appear on the center of my back and on my chest usually in the evening when I get home. They aren't usually present when I awake from sleep in the morning. They generally don't itch very much and aren't too terribly annoying. Im just concerned they may be a symptom of a bigger issue. What could cause this? Thanks
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: frictional bumps Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for the red bumps on the back. After reading your query and thorough analysis of the pictures it appears to be simple frictional bumps which are occurring again and again. These frictional bumps can affect anybody at any site. But more commonly it affects the areas which are more prone for sweating or frictional areas (as in your case). More specifically these are related to the environmental factors where bit of heat or humidity is present. Due to hot and humid climate or due to friction of clothing with friction and repeated rubbing during the whole day due to back of the chairs, it leads to slight inflammation of the skin in form of bumps. Later on if this becomes a chronic process then can lead to heat boils or miliria where these remain present persistently of few days. It is not at all a sign of any internal problem and can affect any body but more of those persons who are on overweight side or having continuous sitting desk job or also in person with out door jobs. For the betterment kindly follow the suggestion below: - Keep your self away from hot and humid climate. - Take two times bath. - Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments to be changed two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments. - Do cold compression or warm water compresses according to the weather condition. - Do not sit continuously for long hours. -You can take oral anti histamine like loratadine or levocetrizine two times a day under medial advise if there is moderate to severe itching is present. -Don't try to scratch or rub the area as can lead to further aggravation of the problem. - You can use any good antiperspirant powders daily to avoid future infection. - Reduce your weight if it is on higher side. I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help. "Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)