What causes rectal bleeding after bowel movement with excessive gas and what is the treatment?

General Surgeon
For about a year I have experienced periodic rectal bleeding on tissue after a bowel movement (bright red); it's a one-time thing. I've also noticed my stools have changed to hard and round and I have excess gas. My Dr. wants me to get a colonoscopy....I feel it is too invasive, especially if all if have are internal hemorrhoids. What is your diagnosis/suggestion?
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should have colonoscopy done. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. The bleeding is most likely caused by hemorrhoids indeed. But also other things can be present along with hemorrhoids. Your doctor is right and you should listen to him. You need to know that every person over the age of 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years (if there is no symptoms at all!). Its because the risk of colon cancer significantly increases over 50. Moreover, every person over 50 should have colonoscopy right away (no matter when previous one has been done) if any symptoms will appear (especially blood in stool, stools frequency, consistency, abdominal pain, weight loss). So you can not assume that all you have are hemorrhoids. You have hemorrhoids but you can have something else as well. So please listen to your doctor and have colonoscopy done. It is the best choice for you. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.