What causes radiating pain from hip to leg after lumbar surgeries?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
mY WIFE HAS TERRIBLE PAIN FROM HER HIP WHICH RUNS DOWN HER LEFT LEG TO HER ANKLE AND FEET. only LAYING DOWN HAS HELPED AND SHE HAS BEEN DOWN SINCE jULY, 2013 WITH THE PAIN
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lkely to be due to nerve compression. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Since your wife has already had lumbar surgeries the radiating pain she is having is likely to be due to nerve root compression at the level of lumbar spine. A primary hip pathology like labral tear also needs to be ruled out after proper investigations. For a post surgical nerve related pain it is best to consult a neurologist for a physical examination. medicines like pregabalin Gabapentin muscle relaxants and methylcobalain supplements will help in relieving the pain. The following measures will help with the pain • Lie on a hard bed. • Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( dont repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food. • Avoid forward bending. • Correct your posture while sitting • Avoid prolonged sitting • Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights. • Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal