What causes pus cells in semen and does it affect the sperm count?

hi doctor i have done my semen analysis two days my count is 6million i have pus cell in sperm 20-30/hpf in future my sperm count will increase or not, iam 27 years old
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Increase after antibiotic.Rule out Varicocele. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Over 15 million sperm per milliliter is considered normal. Thus your sperm count is subnormal. The pus cells of 20-30/hpf is suggestive of infection in your genito urinary tract. There are many infectious causes for pus cells in semen like chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Ureaplasma urelyticum, Mycoplasma genitalium. Around 50% of men with these infections have no symptoms of the disease once infected. If left untreated it can cause infertility. These infection decreases sperm count motility & fertilizing capacity of sperms. Complication of this can be epididymitis, and inflammation in the testis that may leave the man sterile. Please clarify my doubts What for you have done these semen analysis? Do you have any symptoms like discharge,fever, abdominal or testicular pain? You need further investigation like semen culture and sensitivity to identify the infective organism. Once the presence of organism is confirmed, you have to take the specific antibiotic ( based on the infective organism) for some weeks or days. After the treatment, slowly your sperm count will start to increase. As you have low sperm count, it is better to rule out any varicocele by physical examination. If possible please upload the reports. Hope this helps. Waiting for your response.