What causes pulsing in the upper right of the abdomen ?

Hi, I have a "pulse" in the upper right of my abdomen (my right). Just below the ribs. If I press down form enough, it is like feeling the pulse in my wrist. Sometimes, if I am sitting just right, there will be a spasm type feeling at times. I know where you can feel a pulse like the wrist and neck it is because the arteries are closer to the surface. Doesn't seem like the right side of the abdomen would have arteries close to the surface to feel any arteries. I am also overweight at 6'1 270* (male) so there is a lot of "tissue" in that area also. Ideas? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Having a pulsatile feeling in the upper right of your abdomen maybe either due to transmitted pulse you are feeling through your enlarged liver ( a normal sized liver is barely palpable on your self examination) or it can be the only sign of abdominal aneurysm.

To diagnose any of these problems I would suggest you to go for an ultrasound examination of your abdomen followed by an MRI.

If no other problem is found after proper investigations then this increased pulsation may be felt due to a generalized anxiety disorder.

I suggest you to get examined by your doctor since the pulsation is quite obvious. It may require further investigations.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.