What causes pimply rash on chest?

Jan 2014

I have developed a pimply rash like symptom all over my chest it has been there about two weeks now. What could be the cause?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more information Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would like to gather some more information from you in order to be able to help you better. --Do you have any symptom associated with the rash? Itching Or Burning Or pain? --Can you please upload a picture with good clarity of the affected area for me to have a look so as to be able to help you better? Regards
Follow-up: What causes pimply rash on chest? 56 minutes later
In answer to your query it is extremely itchy and sometimes when I wake up my chest is just one big blob of red. That part goes away but the rash/pimples stay. I have had it for about 2 weeks and it is getting worse. I have been under extreme stress lately.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibility of Seborrhoeic dermatitis Detailed Answer: Hi. I would keep a possibility of Seborrhoeic dermatitis. It causes a red, itchy rash and white scales. When it affects the scalp, it is called dandruff. Seborrhoeic dermatitis often occurs in the middle part of the chest. If I was your treating doctor I would have advised you to wash the affected area daily with 2% ketoconazole shampoo, in a lotion base. Lather it on to the affected area and leave it on for 5 minutes before rinsing it off. A moderately potent topical steroid e,g fluticasone can also be applied twice daily over the affected area for a week or 10 days. An OTC pain killer e.g cetrizine would help control the itch. take care regards