What causes persistent pain due to nerve injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi my name is XXXXXXX .Could you pleas help me .i had a acident 2 weeks ago ,cuting my lover leg with grander by cuting 2 tendences .I hed a surgery but 2 weaks after I m experencing sharp pain do0wn in lower leg close to touse ewery couple minuts sharp stabing pain whic does not go away .I tought the plaster is to tight ,went to hospital and replace plaster but the pain did not go away .Pleas could you tel me where pain come from and way Much aprisiate thanks.
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: possibility of nerve injury leading to pain. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case with diligence. There is possibility of nerve injury leading to persistent pain. Another differential there is infection around surgical site may be compartment syndrome development due to injury. You may need clinical examination to know origin and pattern of pain. After examination tests like EMG-NCV [nerve conduction study], and colour Doppler may be required. If the pain is troubling you, I would urge you to visit the doctor and discuss about these tests. Until then take rest, follow limb elevation instructions. You can continue pain killers that were given to you following injury. Or use over the counter pain killers like Ibuprofen twice a day for few days. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care