What causes persistent coughing in winters when suffering from Ankylosing Spondilytis?

Rheumatologist
Question
I have been suffering from constant coughing. It happens to me every year in December (cold months). It persists for about a month or two and then goes off. My concern here is that - is it a normal allergy or something else (I am worried because I have a history of Ankylosing Spondilytis where some lung contractions also occur).
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: rule out allergy first Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query. I am Dr. Alok and very pleased to be assisting you with your health questions today. Shrink of lung is late complication of AS, so first rule out any infection or allergy. In your age group, fibrosis of lung (shrinking of lung) is rare Hope this helps and provides answers to your question. I wish you good health. Dr. Alok

Follow-up: What causes persistent coughing in winters when suffering from Ankylosing Spondilytis? 46 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. So you mean to say that it cannot be shrinkage of lung as of now (I do not face any pain anywhere in body)? But you asked to rule out infection or allergy. If none of above what can be the reason? What exactly do you mean. Im unable to understand.

Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: not related to ankylosing spondylitis (AS) Detailed Answer: Yes, it cannot be shrinkage of lung as of now your coughing is not related to ankylosing spondylitis (AS). when I asked to rule out infection or allergy, I mean to say that only infection or allergy can cause this problem. you should go for investigation like CBC, chest X ray, sputum culture and sensitivity etc. after discussing with your doctor. I just want to ressure you that your coughing is not related to AS at present. If it is bothersome, you should see your physician or pulmonologist to look into it.