What causes periodic flare ups in arthritis pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
What causes periodic flare ups in arthritis pain? Can they be prevented?
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: severe degenerative changes in whole lumbar spine Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case and reports with diligence. As per your x ray report there is severe degenerative changes in whole lumbar spine with disc space reduction. At age of 68 there can be degenerative wear of bones, muscles, ligament and facet joint arthritis, due to deficiency of calcium, vitamin D, VIT B12.so supplements of these nutrients can relieve pain. Osteoporosis may be associated leading to diffuse pain in back. Periodic flare up of arthritic pain can be due to seasonal changes, due to excess activity, lack of exercises, excessive travelling. Check your bone strength with DEXA SCAN and you can start medication according to level of osteoporosis, I will advise you to do MRI spine to see for any disc bulge or spinal canal stenosis. And also check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. You can reduce flare up by doing regular exercises and medication. You need to start supplement of calcium with vitamin D, vit B12, and if osteoporosis is severe then bisphophonates can be started. I will advise you to do regular physiotherapy and exercises as my patients find much relief by these therapies. You may consult physiotherapist for guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case you need to take diet rich in calcium and vitamin D. If not relieved you can take epidural injection. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: What causes periodic flare ups in arthritis pain? 49 minutes later
Thank you for your helpful response. However could you answer my question about why arthritic pain - in lower back (now), knee (15 months ago), or hands (off and on for several years) - ebbs and flows . Why is there a sudden flare up? How can I understand what has happened when there is a flare up? I am a writer but sitting at my computer aggravates my lower back pain. How can I remedy this

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 6 hours later
Brief Answer: These can be osteoarthritis or inflammatory arthri Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case with diligence. As per your history there is possibility of poly arthritis. These can be osteoarthritis or inflammatory arthritis [rheumatoid arthritis] Rheumatoid arthritis may involve small joints and early morning stiffness in joints. These type of arthritis flare up in winter and will lead to swelling and deformity in joints. Degenerative osteoarthritis can flare-up due to friction, loss of cartilage and will lead to effusion and inflammation in joint leading to pain. Your back pain could be postural problem as you may be sitting for long time and working on computer for long time. Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- Spine extension exercises, lying on your stomach flat lift leg 6 inches from ground, do it for other leg. Now lift both hand and leg simultaneously, 6 inch off the ground and stay Position for around 10 breathes. Core stabilizing spine exercises will help. You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. Some life style modifications to prevent pain– Take break every 40 min from computer and do some lumbar rotation, stretches, walk and get back to work. Sit with taking support to your back, and do not watch television constantly. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: What causes periodic flare ups in arthritis pain? 1 hour later
Very many thanks. I appreciate all your comments and suggestions XXXX

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Wishing you good health. Take care.