What causes pain,bloating,nausea when gallbladder functioning is at 8% and will the symptoms vanish after surgery?

Question
I am scheduled to have my gallbladder removed in two weeks. No stones, but a hida scan showed it functioning at 8%. Seems that in the last few weeks, it really has taken a turn for the worse. I am really quite uncomfortable with pain, bloating, and sometimes nausea. My questions is...what causes the bloating and do these symptoms usually go away after surgery?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Symptoms will go away. Avoid fat and greasy foods. Detailed Answer: Hello, Gall bladder sits under the ribs on the right side of the abdomen. Gall bladder stores bile, a digestive aid that's made in the liver. Bile is essential to the digestion of fats. If function of gall bladder is decreased due to any cause, the gall bladder can not secrete the bile into the intestinal tract efficiently and poor digestion is the result. Poor digestion can cause bloating. All symptoms are exacerbated by fried and greasy foods. Some people experience the symptoms by smelling greasy foods. Thus avoidance of fatty and greasy foods is usually recommended. Now a days we recommend to remove the gall bladder for these issues to avoid emergency acute problems later with further problems. After removal your bloating felling will go off. But you need to avoid fat and greasy foods. I recommend you to eat only easily digestible foods. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: What causes pain,bloating,nausea when gallbladder functioning is at 8% and will the symptoms vanish after surgery? 35 minutes later
So fried and greasy foods are permanently off the diet? Why does even a glass of wine exasperate the bloating and discomfort?

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes. Discontinue greasy foods. Dehydrating effect. Detailed Answer: Hello, Yes. It is better to permanently discontinue the fried and greasy foods in gall bladder disease. As alcohol have dehydrating effect on the body. It can contribute to symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, Bloating and bowel discomfort. Thus avoid alcohol also. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.