What causes pain on the left side of the back just above the waist?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a twing located on the left side of my back just above the waist. It throb most after I have eaten some foods. would this be digestive, or kidney?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Digestive cause likely. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. For the pain on the left side of the back just above the waist, three possibilities are coming to my mind, these include: 1) The first possibility is of Peptic ulcer disease or Hiatal hernia. Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors. 2) The second possibility is of pancreatitis as it may cause upper left abdominal pain which is worse when bending over or sitting. Pancreatic enzymes like serum amylase and lipase should be measured to rule out any pancreatic cause. 3) The last possibility is of any kidney stones which may present as a sharp pain radiating to the back. There may be associated burning during urination. For this purpose you need to get an ultrasound abdomen and kidneys done. I suggest you to consult a physician and get an ultrasound upper left abdomen, pancreatic enzymes, upper GI endoscopy done to rule out these causes. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL