What causes pain in thighs when stomach is bloated?

General Surgeon
I am getting pain and catch feeling on my right thigh. The same is also not constant throughout. It is more when I have gas filled in my stomach and if I am not able to pass motion properly Had done MRI of thigh but results show normal I feel there also a hernia my right inguinal region. But the lump is inside the body and cant be seen outside the body and also while passing gas I feel it in that region most times. What should I do ? I want to get operated but want to be sure that the pain and the catch feeling which I am gettin in my thigh is also linked to the hernia . Also which MRI will be able to show the same exactly
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: The complaits unlikelt to be due to inguinal herni Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX The diagnosis of any Hernia is based on history by patient of observing swelling at the site of known hernial orifice( in your case Inguinal and femoral region) and demonstration by clinician of swelling at the site either spontaneously or by any action which raises intro-abdominal pressure and causes appearance of the swelling(example while coughing or straining). If there is no such presentation in your case then its unlikely to be Hernia. Your Previous MRI is also normal, and any other MRI will not be able to pick up sub-clinical hernia. In my clinical practice if i suspect sub-clinical hernia( history of noticing swelling by the patient but not seen by surgeon at the time of examination), I subject such patients to real time Ultrasound examination to demonstrate widened internal ring as in case of inguinal hernia or spermatic cord thickening which could be indirect signs. I would suggest you the same, if its normal then the complaints you are facing is unlikely to be due to Hernia. I do not recommend Surgery in individuals if i am not convinced with physical findings and demonstration of Hernia. I rarely rely on any Radiological investigation. Its only in doubtful cases I go for it. Remember in Ultrasound its possible to examine hernial sites orifice in real time and individual an be asked to do the maneuvers which demonstrate sub-clinical hernia . The decision to operate or not operate is better taken in consultation with a Surgeon Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon
Follow-up: What causes pain in thighs when stomach is bloated? 19 minutes later
Hello Doctor, Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, during physical examination the doctor first told me to that he cannot see any hernia however when I told him to put his finger through the scrotum skin towards the right inguinal region, then he was convinced that there is and unusual hernia and he confirmed this by telling me to cough. However he told me to do a sonography standing erect and in that the same was not detected. Also the MRI was done only on the upper right thigh and not the inguinal region where I am having the internal bulge, this was done was recomended by my ortho doctor whom I had gone to initially for the pain and catching sensation in the thigh He first suspected some injury to thigh but result of MRI was normal. I have not done MRI of the right groin. will MRI of the right groin also help? I had done a CT scan of the right groin which confirmed inguinal ring widening in Sept 2012 And what is this real time ultrasound examination?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Real time USG is visulaization of anatomy Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Real time Ultrasound means observing the anatomy of inguinal canal in real time and demonstration of widened inguinal ring and protrusion of the abdominal organs while certain maneuvers are done like valsalva, standing or coughing. Just the presence of widened ring does not confirm the diagnosis of hernia. Only in few ases of widened ring the intra-abdominal contents may protrude through it. Its important to demonstrate both widened ring and presence of protrusion of intra-abdominal contents. I hope i have clarified your doubt. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak