What causes pain in leg joints and buttock when diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I was diagnosed with RA about a year ago. I have developed a achy pain when I sit . The pain is located where my right leg joins my buttock. The pain is in that location and slightly up my right leg.
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seems to be due to ischiogluteal bursitis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Your described pain seems to be due to ischiogluteal bursitis. Pressure may be placed on the ischiogluteal bursa during sitting. When these forces are excessive due to too much repetition or high force, irritation and inflammation of the ischiogluteal bursa may occur. I suggest you to give Rest to the part and avoid activities that aggravate the symptoms. Place a hot pack over the painful area for 15-20 minutes, three to four times a day. Avoid massage to the area. Take a warm shower or bath. You can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care